Mike Leigh is an English film and theatre director, screenwriter and playwright.
Leigh is best known for:
The black comedy-drama Naked (1993), for which he won the Best Director Award at Cannes,
- The Oscar-nominated, BAFTA- and Palme d’Or-winning drama Secrets & Lies (1996),
- The Golden Lion-winning working-class drama Vera Drake (2004), and
- The Palme d’Or-nominated biopic Mr. Turner (2014).
Some of his well-known films include:
- The comedy-dramas Life Is Sweet (1990) Meantime (1983) and Career Girls (1997),
- The Gilbert and Sullivan biographical film Topsy-Turvy (1999) and
- The bleak working-class drama All or Nothing (2002).
Leigh achieved great success with American audiences with the female led films:
- Vera Drake (2004) starring Imelda Staunton,
- Happy-Go-Lucky (2008) with Sally Hawkins,
- The family drama Another Year (2010), and
- The historical drama Peterloo (2018).
Mike Leigh family
Mike Leigh’s parents are Phyllis Pauline and Alfred Abraham Leigh.
He was married to actress Alison Steadman from 1973 to 2001 and they have two sons: Toby (born February 1978) and Leo (born August 1981).
Mike Leigh films ranked
Leigh’s top movies according to ABTC.NG include:
- Naked (1993)
- Another Year (2010)
- Life Is Sweet (1990)
- Vera Drake (2004)
- Topsy-Turvy (1999)
- All Or Nothing (2002)
- High Hopes (1988)
- Meantime (1983)
Mike Leigh films on netflix
Leigh’s films on Netflix include:
- Secrets & Lies
- Vera Drake
- Another Year
- Mr. Turner
Mike Leigh tv plays
Lwighs stage plays include Smelling A Rat, It’s A Great Big Shame, Greek Tragedy, Goose-Pimples, Ecstasy and Abigail’s Party
Mike Leigh new film
As of August 2022, Leigh was in the pre-production stage with an untitled drama, which promises to feature an all-Black cast.